Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Apricot-Blueberry Whole-Grain French Toast
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- breakfast, vegetarian, brunch, easter, memorial day, mothers' day
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) apricot halves in syrup
- 1 can (15 ounces) wild blueberries in light syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 3 large or extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk (may substitute canned, fat-free evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- Drain apricots and blueberries, reserving the syrup.
- In a small saucepan combine the reserved syrup, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch, mixing until blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Slice apricots; add apricots and blueberries to the sauce.
- Heat through; cover and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla in a shallow dish until blended.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Dip the bread into egg mixture, turning to soak both sides; place in the skillet.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Cut each into 4 triangles and arrange on serving plates.
- Spoon the apricot-blueberry topping over the toast; sprinkle with almonds.