Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- dairy free, nut free, sugar free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium canned vegetable juice
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quick pearled barley
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and green pepper, and cook and stir until soft.
- Add the turkey, chili powder, garlic, cumin and oregano, and cook, stirring to break up the meat for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the vegetable juice, tomatoes and chiles, chicken broth and barley, and increase heat to medium-high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until the barley is almost tender.
- Add the beans, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.