Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Chipotle Pumpkin Black Bean Chili
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time
- 40 minutes
- american, mexican, texmex, dinner, lunch, main-dish, soups, cinco de mayo
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 can (796 mL) no-salt added canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup (250 mL) no-salt added canned chicken broth
- 1 (540 mL) no-salt added canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (12.5 oz) no-salt added chicken, drained
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, oregano and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are soften.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, pumpkin puree, chicken broth, black beans, chicken, chipotles and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until chili is thick and flavorful.
- Salt to taste.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with lime wedges.
- Tip: Substitute your favorite canned beans, try white kidney beans, pinto or romano beans.