Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- latin, mexican, dairy free, gluten free, nut free, vegan, vegetarian, dessert, snacks, labor day
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) sliced pineapple, in juice
- Spray oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced, mild green chilies, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch ground allspice
- Heat grill to high.
- Drain juices from canned pineapple into a heavy saucepan; set aside.
- Blot pineapple slices with paper towels to dry, and spray with oil.
- Grill for about 2 minutes per side, until browned in spots.
- Cool, and chop into 1/4-inch pieces; set aside.
- In the saucepan, whisk the sugar into the drained juices.
- Add chilies, and boil over medium- high heat, stirring frequently until the juices are slightly golden and are reduced to about 1 cup.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and allspice.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 1 week and warm before serving.