Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- latin, mexican, nut free, vegetarian, christmas, cinco de mayo
- 8 slices white country bread or challah
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (4 1/2 ounces) diced, mild green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated, fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Toast bread and cut into 1/2-inch cubes to get 3 cups of cubes. Mix with corn, tomatoes, chilies, Monterey Jack cheese, 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese and cilantro in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Separately mix eggs, milk, cumin and pepper; pour evenly over ingredients in the pan, pressing down on bread to moisten.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar over top.
- Bake until puffed and lightly browned and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.