Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- nut free, vegetarian, dessert, easter, memorial day
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) sliced or halved pears in light or heavy syrup
- 3 tablespoons green crème de menthe
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 4 ounces coarsely crushed candy canes or peppermint hard candies
- Drain fruit, reserving 2 tablespoons syrup.
- Cut 8, thin slices of fruit and reserve.
- Place remaining fruit and reserved syrup in the work bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Add crème de menthe.
- Blend in pulses until nearly smooth, about 30 seconds. (Fruit purée can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.)
- Allow ice cream to soften until it scoops easily and still holds a shape.
- In 8 parfait glasses, or any stemmed glass that holds about 8 fluid ounces, spoon 1 tablespoon fruit purée into the bottom of each glass.
- Add 1/4 cup ice cream.
- Add another spoonful of fruit purée and then another 1/4 cup ice cream.
- Spoon remaining fruit over top of ice cream.
- Freeze up to 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with candy and garnish with a reserved fruit slice.
- Crème de menthe or other liqueurs can be replaced with a dash of vanilla, almond, orange or anise extract.
- Canned apricots, amaretto, coffee ice cream, crumbled amaretto cookies
- Canned, dark sweet cherries; kirsch; chocolate ice cream; toasted, sliced or slivered almonds
- Canned figs, orange flower water*, vanilla ice cream, toasted pistachios or sliced or slivered almonds
- Canned blackberries (strain after puréeing), brandy, vanilla ice cream, crumbled vanilla wafers
- Canned whole-berry cranberry sauce, sherry or port, vanilla ice cream, toasted walnut pieces
- 1 cup canned pumpkin pie filling (not solid-pack pumpkin) from a 16 or 30 ounce can; vanilla extract; vanilla ice cream; crumbled gingersnaps or brown-sugar, shortbread cookies