Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Picante Tropical Shrimp Tacos
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- latin, mexican, texmex, lunch, nut free, main-dish, cinco de mayo
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon canned, chopped mild green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and de-veined medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) unsalted diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Mix all salsa ingredients and refrigerate.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, red onion and garlic; sauté until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste; sauté until shrimp are firm and opaque in the thickest part, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon 1/8 shrimp mixture onto a tortilla; top with a portion of salsa, cheese and lettuce.
- Fold in the edges and roll up tortilla.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve immediately.