Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Toasted Corn And Black Bean Salad
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- lunch, dairy free, gluten free, nut free, sugar free, salad, mothers' day
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounce) whole kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 can (16 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large head romaine or 12 ounces spinach leaves
- thyme springs to garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ham and corn, and cook until tinged with brown, stirring often.
- Add the pepper and celery and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tebder, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, green chilies, cumin and chili powder, and cook another minute, until the beans are heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the green onions, cilantro, vinegar and remaining oil; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mound the greens on a large platter or on individual plates and spoon the warm salad over top.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs