Apricot Upside Down Cake
"One of my favorite ways to celebrate with my family is to bake a cake for us to share. The brown sugar that is the base of the cake, caramelizes beautifully with the Del Monte Apricots to create a little crust." - Amanda Saab
Recipe created by Amanda Saab http://www.amandasplate.com/
Recipe courtesy of Del Monte Foods
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cans Del Monte Apricot Halves, drained
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cups All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Optional Toppings: Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Place melted butter in cake pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Layer the apricots on top of the brown sugar.
- Using a mixer with a paddle attachments, cream together butter and sugar. Add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Add in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and buttermilk. Mix until combined, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour batter over apricots and bake for 35-40 minutes, until cake is baked through.
- Allow to cool and turn over onto serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar.