Kids Cooking Tips
Cooking is a great way to unleash creativity and make fun for the whole family. Have a great time in the kitchen and use these tips to guide you and your kids through set-up and safety to clean-up.
Get Ready to Cook
- Wash your hands with soap and water, and dry them well.
- Carefully read through the recipe. Then, gather all of the ingredients you will need to prepare the recipe.
- Select kid recipes that fit your cooking skill level.
- Make sure you have enough of each ingredient in the recipe.
- Make sure you have a timer handy in case a recipe needs to cook for a certain amount of time.
- If you will be making messy food, wear an apron and old clothes.
Keep it Safe for Everyone
- Always check with a parent or guardian before you begin any cooking project.
- Be careful with knives. Ask an adult to help you pick out a knife that is safe to use.
- If you are using an oven or stovetop, always make sure the dials are turned to the "off" position when you are finished.
- Make sure you roll up your sleeves and tie back any long hair.
- Turn all pan-handles toward the middle of the stovetop so you don't bump the pan when you walk by.
- Always use potholders to remove anything from the oven or stovetop.
- Ask an adult for help any time you have a question or can't do something on your own.
- Put away all of the leftover ingredients. And, remember to recycle your steel cans.
- Wash and dry all of your dishes.
- Leave the kitchen extra clean, and make sure you wipe the counters and stovetop (after it has cooled).
- Clean up any spills so no one slips and falls or tracks food around the house.