Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- dairy free, nut free, sugar free
- 3 large baking potatoes 10 to 12 ounces each, preferably Idaho, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) peas, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) beef or turkey gravy
- Preheat the conventional oven to 450°F.
- Place the potatoes in a microwave-safe, oven-proof glass baking dish, such as a pie plate, that fits in the microwave oven.
- Microwave the potatoes at full power for 10 minutes (the amount of time it takes to preheat the oven).
- Transfer the potatoes to the conventional oven and bake until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 10 to 15 minutes before the potatoes are done baking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef and cook until lightly browned, chopping and turning as needed with a spatula so the beef browns evenly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the seasoning to the skillet, followed by the peas, carrots, green beans, tomatoes and gravy to make the stew.
- Stir gently to combine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Cut each potato in half across its equator and set each half, cut-side down on a plate so that it looks like a small mountain.
- Cut a slit in the top of each potato half and squeeze the sides gently forcing some of the potato to "erupt" from the top.
- Ladle 1 cup of the stew over each potato to resemble flowing lava; serve immediately.