Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- latin, mexican, dinner, gluten free, nut free, snacks, halloween, memorial day
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups 99% fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (12 1/2 ounces) premium chunk breast of chicken in water, drained
- 2 teaspoons Mexican-style hot chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup canned, drained and rinsed cannellini beans, coarsely mashed
- 1/2 cup shredded, sharp low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until transparent, about 3 minutes; add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add chicken broth, and boil until liquid is reduced to about half.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken in a small mixing bowl with the back of a fork.
- Mix in chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- Stir into the onions and broth, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in beans and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes more.
- Combine the cheese and cornstarch in a small bowl; mix into the chicken mixture.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve warm in a bowl as a delicious dip.