Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- lunch, nut free, main-dish, valentines day
- 2 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 slices pepperoni, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 whole-wheat pita breads (each cut in 6 triangles), warm
- Mix breadcrumbs and milk in a small bowl until fully moistened; set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce and pepperoni (if using) in a small saucepan and heat to simmering.
- Stir in breadcrumb-milk mixture and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with warm pita triangles for dipping.