Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- southern, dairy free, nut free, sugar free, brunch, thanksgiving
- 1 pound cornbread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole hominy (posole), thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild, diced green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, preferably corn oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, drained
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss cornbread, hominy, corn kernels and chiles on a large, rimmed sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes, until the cornbread is toasted on its edges.
- Toss and bake for five more minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add poultry seasoning, oregano and chili powder and sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and heat to boiling.
- Pour over toasted ingredients and toss to moisten.
- Cool before stuffing into the cavity of a 12- to 15-pound turkey.
- The stuffing can also be prepared in the oven; mound in a casserole dish and cook in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.