Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- latin, mexican, texmex, lunch, gluten free, nut free, main-dish, cinco de mayo
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 large carrots, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chili peppers, optional
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the beef, carrots and onion.
- Cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the tomatoes, black-eyed peas, hominy, 1 cup water, chili peppers (if desired), chili powder, cumin and garlic powder; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover.
- Simmer about 20 to 25 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with the shredded cheese.