Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Mixed Endive Salad With Vanilla-Pear Vinaigrette And Toasted Walnuts
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- greek, mediterranean, lunch, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free, vegan, vegetarian, salad, mothers' day
- 1 can (15 ounces) pear halves or slices in juice (reserve 1/3 cup juice)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 bags (about 8 ounces each) endive lettuce mix, including Belgian endive, radicchio, escarole, frisée, chicory or 2 pounds of the same lettuce in heads, cleaned of damaged leaves, cored, washed and broken in bite-size pieces
- To make dressing, purée all dressing ingredients, including reserved 1/3 cup juice from pears, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Soak onion in ice water for at least 10 minutes; drain.
- Toast walnut pieces. The easiest way is in a microwave oven: place walnuts on a microwave-safe pie plate or flat dish; heat on full power for 3 minutes.Taste to check that they are toasted enough. If not, cook for another minute.
- Toss lettuce and onions with dressing.
- Garnish with toasted walnuts.