Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- latin, breakfast, gluten free, nut free, brunch, New Year's
- 3 large eggs*
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced, canned tomatoes with jalapeños (or with green chiles), drained, divided
- 1 can (5 oz.) of chicken in water, drained or 1/2 cup chopped leftover cooked chicken breast**
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 avocado, sliced Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Combine eggs, water and pepper in a small bowl; whisk gently to blend the whites and yolks, but not to make them frothy.
- Melt the olive oil in a 10-inch, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, tilting to coat the bottom and sides.
- Once the oil is hot, pour the eggs in.
- As eggs start to set, lift the edges so the uncooked egg mixture flows underneath.
- Cook until the eggs are set and no visible liquid egg remains, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Top half the omelet with 1/3 cup tomatoes, chicken and cheese; sprinkle with cilantro and oregano.
- Flip the unfilled half of the omelet over the top.
- Heat until lightly browned on the bottom, then slide onto a plate to serve.
- Top with remaining tomatoes and avocado slices.
- Garnish with cilantro.