Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Red Satin Cake With Peaches And Raspberries
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- nut free, vegetarian, dessert, memorial day
- Non-stick baking spray
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added sliced beets, not drained
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring (optional)
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in juice, not drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces fresh raspberries, cleaned
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 2 (8-inch) layer pans with baking spray; set aside.
- Purée beets with their juice in a blender until smooth; set aside.
- Mix the cake mix, puréed beets, milk, eggs and food coloring in the large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat on low speed for 30 seconds and on high for 2 minutes, until batter is thick and smooth.
- Pour and scrape batter into the prepared pans and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until a tester inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool in the pans on racks for 15 to 20 minutes, until cool enough to touch.
- Remove the cakes from pans and cool on racks until room temperature.
- While the cake is baking prepare filling.
- Purée peaches with their juice and cornstarch in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling and thick, about 5 minutes; cool completely.
- To make the frosting, purée cream cheese, 2 tablespoons cooled peach mixture, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a food processor until smooth; set aside.
- To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer on a serving plate, top with the remaining peach mixture and half the raspberries.
- Place the second layer on top.
- Ice the sides and top of the cake with cream cheese frosting, and decorate with remaining raspberries.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Cut in 12 wedges and serve.