Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- nut free, vegetarian, brunch, 4th of july
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) green chilies, drained
- Heat oven to 400º F.
- Coat a 9- or 10-inch, cast-iron skillet with cooking spray; preheat skillet in oven.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix in milk, oil and egg, just until moistened.
- Beat in corn and chilies.
- Remove skillet from oven with a heavy potholder.
- Spoon batter evenly into the skillet and bake for about 20 minutes, until cornbread is firm, golden and pulls away from the sides of the skillet.
- Cool for 5 minutes and cut into wedges or squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.