Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Sweet Potato Pecan Waffles With Praline Peaches
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- southern, vegetarian, brunch, New Year's, memorial day, rosh hashanah
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted pecans, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet potatoes or yams in light syrup, not drained
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups buttermilk waffle mix
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) sliced peaches in light syrup, or sliced peaches in juice, not drained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Non-stick spray oil
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped pecans and brown sugar.
- Stir until sugar melts and coats the nuts; be careful that they do not burn; set aside.
- Purée sweet potatoes (with their syrup) and milk in a blender until smooth; set aside.
- Preheat a non-stick waffle iron.
- Mix waffle mix, sweet-potato mixture and egg yolks in a large bowl until well combined.
- Stir in the remaining, uncooked pecans; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a clean bowl with a whisk until they hold a firm shape, and fold into the waffle batter; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain juice from peaches into a large skillet.
- Stir in honey and boil over high heat until lightly thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in peaches and reserved sugar-glazed pecans; keep warm.
- Lightly coat the interior of the preheated waffle iron with spray oil.
- Pour about 1/3 of batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook until puffed, brown and crisp, according to manufacturer's directions.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with peach topping.