Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Veracruz-Style Red Snapper
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- dinner, dairy free, gluten free, nut free, sugar free, main-dish
- 1 1/2 pounds red snapper fillets or other finfish fillets
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with jalapeño peppers
- 2/3 cup canned roasted red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lime, sliced, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Rub red snapper with lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and pepper.
- Marinate in an ovenproof dish in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or no longer than 2 hours.
- Combine onion, garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet; cook and stir on medium-low heat until onion is lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, bell pepper, capers and bay leaf.
- Cover; simmer for about 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Pour tomato mixture over red snapper.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until fish becomes flaky.
- Baste with the sauce during the cooking time.
- To serve, remove bay leaf and garnish with lime slices.