Canned Food Recipes
« Back to Search Results
Vietnamese Chicken Curry With Sweet Potatoes And Carrots
Recipe by Canned Food Alliance
- asian, vietnamese, dinner, dairy free, main-dish, rosh hashanah
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced onions or shallots
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 5 slices fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized chunks, or 2 pounds whole bone-in chicken thighs or legs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes or chili-garlic sauce
- 3 1/2 cups canned, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) carrots, drained 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- In a large, deep saucepan or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat for one minute.
- Add onions, lemongrass and ginger and cook one to two minutes, tossing until onions are shiny and translucent.
- Add curry powder and garlic, and cook one to two minutes, tossing once or twice, until mixture is fragrant and softened.
- Add chicken, spreading it in one layer, and cook for one minute.
- Toss well and cook until chicken begins to brown.
- Add fish sauce, sugar and chili flakes, and toss again.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
- Remove lemongrass chunks and add sweet potatoes and carrots, letting curry simmer another one to three minutes, until they are heated through.
- Stir in lime or lemon juice, transfer curry dish to a serving bowl and serve.