Menu Modeling Tool Kit
The Canned Food Alliance (CFA) recently conducted a menu pattern and modeling analysis to help translate the Dietary Guidelines and show how making small shifts in dietary choices, including the addition of canned fruits, vegetables, beans, lean meats and seafood, can increase overall vitamin and mineral intake. Specifically, the analysis looked at:
- How simple shifts and adding convenient, nutritious canned ingredients to meals throughout the day can lead to increased consumption of key nutrients, particularly “nutrients of concern to public health” as identified in the DGA’s (such as vitamin D, calcium, fiber and potassium) and remain within the dietary recommendations for calories, sodium and added sugar.
- How canned ingredients easily fit into the three dietary patterns outlined in MyPlate: the U.S. Style Healthy Diet, the Healthy Mediterranean Diet and the Healthy Vegetarian Diet.
Inside the Tool Kit:
Pattern-Specific Nutrient Boosts
- The typical American diet falls short of several key nutrients – 10 of them to be exact – according to the Dietary Guidelines. Whether you follow a typical American, Mediterranean or Vegetarian diet, we've got you covered! Click on each diet pattern for more specific ways to increase nutrients Americans are lacking.
View how the American-style eating pattern can boost nutrients easily with these tips, including an 83% increase in Magnesium with a simple and delicious fruit and yogurt snack.
Learn how the Mediterranean-style eating pattern can become more nutritious with these tips, including an 53% increase in Calcium from a tasty tuna, spinach and celery lunch.
We didn't forget about you, vegetarians! See how the vegetarian-style eating pattern can improve, with delicious suggestions for breakfast and dinner.
Canned Food Nutrient Info Guide
- We are also proud to share our new handout, ready to turn over for clients as you're recommending certain key nutrients Americans are lacking. These nutrients are those outlined in the Dietary Guidelines as nutrients of concern, and provide a quick and easy reference for consumers looking to step up their game with delicious canned foods.
Nutritional Recipe Card Booklet
- JUST ADDED: Our tool kit offers easy and affordable ways to close nutrient gaps, whether your diet falls under U.S., Mediterranean or Vegetarian. Check out our new recipe card booklet that helps you show clients simple meal ideas taken from the full menus.